Summer Seminar in the Art of Teaching Writing, June 2017
This seminar will support the work of the second cohort of Daniel E. Koshland, Jr. Fellows as you design and teach your 2017–18 Reading and Composition (R&C) courses.
I’ve tried to structure our work together this week to offer you a practical feel for what is involved in teaching a writing course. To do that, I will ask you to participate in many of the same activities I hope you will lead your undergraduate students in doing. And so, for instance, I’ll often ask you to do some writing, both in class and outside of it, to share what you write with the other members of this seminar, and to respond to the work they are doing. Your main assignment for this week will be to draft a version of your R&C course website on WordPress.
We have also planned several ways of continuing our conversation beyond this week. We invite you to visit each other’s R&C classes. There will be a seres of monthly get-togethers at the Townsend in the fall. I’ll ask you to follow and post to the Twitter feed for the seminar at #koshland17. And I will return to Berkeley in December to lead a meeting in which we discuss your experiences and plans for moving forward.
Please see Plan and Schedule for more details about the coming week.
The 2017-18 Koshland Fellows include:
- Jennifer Blaylock, Film & Media
- Howard Fisher. Comparative Literature
- Jordan Greenwald. Comparative Literature
- Ryan Ikeda, Rhetoric
- Lisa Jacobson. Film & Media
- Marianne Kaletzky, Comparative Literature
- Alan Kluegel, Jurisprudence and Social Policy
- Aileen Liu, English
- Shokoofeh Rajabzadeh, English
- Julia Shatz, History
- Jonathan Shelley, English
- Jeremy Soh, Anthropology
- Sarah Whitt, Ethnic Studies
And the 2016–17 Koshland Fellows were:
- Caroline Lemak Brickman, Slavic
- Alexandra Brostoff, Comparative Literature
- Alexandra Bush, Film & Media
- Ramya Janandharan, Ethnic Studies
- Taylor Johnston, Comparative Literature
- Evan Klavon, English
- Kathryn Elizabeth Levine, French
- Suzanne Li Puma, Rhetoric
- Isobel Palmer, Slavic
- Marion Phillips, French
- Luke Terlaak Poot, English
- Daniel Valella, English
- Irene Yoon, English